The calendar just marches on! It's hard to believe it is already time for February's Nonfiction Picture Book 10 for 10 event (#nf10for10). This year will be our 4th annual nonfiction event. I know I'm excited to see the selections and posts about favorite nonfiction titles.
The event will be Friday, February 19th (because 1 + 9 is 10...yes, I know the one is in the tens place, but let's play along with it). For me, this is always a book gap filling event. Each year it seems there is a greater emphasis on nonfiction picture books for young readers. I'm always working to catch up on these titles. Events like the Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge (#nfpb2016) hosted each Wednesday by Aly Beecher, help me to learn more about these books. For me, our February 19th community picture event, brings to the front some "must have" nonfiction titles for young readers.
Here are a few examples from past participants:
- Erika Victor, 2015: Expect the Unexpected
- Catherine Flynn, 2015: Lives of Artists
- Jodie Rodriguez, 2014: Architect and Building Books
- Cathy Mere, 2014: Mentor Texts for Young Nonfiction Writers
- Stacey Shubitz, 2013: 10 New Words of Nonfiction I Hope My Daughter Embraces
In 2010 Mandy Robek and I hosted our first picture book event. In 2013, Julie Balen suggested we add a nonfiction picture book event that worked the same. Participants choose 10 - well, usually 10 (they're a crafty bunch) - nonfiction picture books to share. On the day of the event, we'll ask that you visit the Google Community site to add your nonfiction link to the 2016 #nf10for10 tab. We will also suggest that you leave the link on one of our blogs in the comment section, just in case we have to move again.
- What: 10 nonfiction picture books you can't live without.
- Hashtag: #nf10for10
- Who: Anyone interested --- educators, media specialists, librarians, parents, and book lovers.
- When: Thursday, February 19th
- Where: All posts will be linked on the 2016 #nf10for10 page of our Picture Book 10 for 10 Google Community Site.
Start sorting through your collections to find your favorite titles and join us in one month as we share 10 nonfiction picture books we just can't live without. Feel free to grab the #nf10for10 button and spread the word.
In the meantime, please feel free to browse our home. Send a request to join our community. If you have participated in the past, we'd love it if you would add your old posts to the correct tab in the community. We are hoping to recreate the resources the best we can.