Thursday, October 8, 2015

Graphic Novel Celebration: Toon Books for Beginning Readers

If you haven't heard, today and every Thursday in October is a day to celebrate graphic novels.  Thanks to Franki Sibberson and Mary Lee Hahn of A Year of ReadingAlyson Beecher of KidLit FrenzyTammy Mulligan and Clare Landrigan of Assessment in Perspective; and the Nerdy Book Club Community for bringing this community together.  

This week I continue my search for graphic novels for our youngest readers and return to an old favorite recommendation for the celebration:  Toon Books.  Several years ago, Katie DiCesare shared the possibility of Toon Books with me.  Toon Books are small graphic stories that students will enjoy reading.  I have found this series to be a smart recommendation for young readers because:
  1. They vary in level of difficulty.  
  2. Students can read the book in print or digital copy (some titles).
  3. The titles available online will read to students (in a variety of languages).
  4. Stories are engaging.
I find Toon Books to be useful in introducing graphic formats in read aloud or shared reading to readers.  I've added several to my classroom library as students enjoy reading and rereading these stories.  If you haven't seen Toon Books, they are worth checking out.  



No comments:

Post a Comment